.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, October 30, 2006

 

Heartless Critic

Feels good on a day like today to wake up and realize that I own an entire page of The Oregonian. Well, along with advertisers. And, the page being E4.

Nevertheless, a couple of pieces in today's paper, one that was a lot of fun to write (as much fun as you can have writing about a stanza [I think that is the term] of poets), as the Wave Books-sponsored Poetry Bus wheezed in to Portland on October 24 for a final stop before circling back to Seattle, closing out the 50 readings in 50 days pledge. This week's Talk of the Book Town, and here is the link:
http://tinyurl.com/y7wdbg.


Also today, and less feel-good: my debut as a music critic for The Oregonian, writing about a show that the Heartless Bastards of Cincinnati headlined on Friday night (October 27, 2006). A link:
http://tinyurl.com/yl75ew.

Sufficed to say, I didn't set out to pan this...if anything I was fired up to deliver a fired-up testimonial about the greatness of this gem trio. Instead, I may get my fan club permissions revoked. I've been to plenty of great shows where the performers were inebriated. And, although the piece doesn't reflect this, I would imagine that E.W. was not the only not-sober individual on stage. But on the hook, with a day to turn the piece around, I wasn't going to beg off simply because the band took the night off.

Here's a set list, for posterity:
Doug Fir, Portland Oregon, 10/27/06
Set list
1. No Pointing Arrows
2. New Resolution
3. Brazen
4. Done Got Old (singalong)
5. All This Time
6. Blue Day
7. Came a Long Way
8. Into the Open
9. Valley of Debris
10. My Maker
11. I Swallowed a Dragonfly (with violinist)
12. Searching for the Ghost
13. The Will Song
14. Gray

Encore
1. (new song, untitled)
2. Swamp Song
3. Runnin

Here is a link to my write-up (at Salvage Heart) of their show last November:
http://salvageheart.blogspot.com/2005/11/heartless-bastards-v-reigning-sound.html.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?